In this episode, you’ll hear Doug share lessons that he has learned in 10 years of working at Light of Life Rescue Mission, a non-profit that serves homeless men, women, and children in Pittsburgh, PA.
The topics you’ll hear covered are:
- Why you should care about those in need.
- How to get promoted
- Learning how to have hard conversations
- How to build a culture of community
KEY TAKEAWAYS FROM EPISODE #274:
- God loves the poor, needy, addicted, and abused and you should too. Doug encourages listeners to do a study around God’s heart for the poor and then to decide to do something about it. He recommends volunteering and donating to a local shelter.
- Be a great #2 – If you want to advance in an organization, you need to see yourself as a #2 and find ways to serve the leaders of the organization.
- Learn How to Have Hard Conversations – One of the greatest skills you can ever develop in your leadership journey is the ability to have hard conversations.
- People Give to People – When it comes to fundraising, people give to people. Therefore, you must establish and cultivate as many relationships with donors, corporations, foundations, and government officials as possible. Once you have the relationships established, you need to be willing to make an ask. You have not because you ask not.
Subscribe to our Podcast:
- Subscribe on iTunes
- Subscribe on YouTube
- Subscribe on Google Play
- Subscribe on Spotify
- Subscribe on Overcast
- Subscribe on Stitcher
- Subscribe on TuneIn
LINKS MENTIONED IN EPISODE 274:
QUOTES FROM EPISODE 274:If you don’t love the poor, then you don’t know what God has done for you. -Tim Keller Click To Tweet God has a bigger plan for your life than you do.Click To Tweet “If you’re not in the first chair, you are somewhere in the middle. Just do a simple thing: Contact your leader and ask them, How can I better serve you?” -Sam ChandClick To Tweet Never ruin an apology with an excuse. Click To Tweet People need 3 things to change: Grace, truth, and time! Click To Tweet You don’t want to be in the room until God wants you in the room. Click To Tweet
READ OR DOWNLOAD THE TRANSCRIPT FOR EPISODE 274:
ABOUT DOUG SMITH:
Doug is the Director of Development at Light of Life Rescue Mission and Founder and CEO of L3 Leadership. He is the author of his eBook, “Making the Most of Mentoring”, a step-by-step guide to help you build and cultivate relationships with mentors. He blogs at dougsmithlive.com, he is the host of the L3 Leadership podcast, and he is a sought-after public speaker. He is married to his high school sweetheart, Laura, who currently works as an Account Executive at Ivalua. Together, they love family, personal growth, travel, working out, and serving others.
CONNECT WITH DOUG:
LEAVE A RATING AND REVIEW
The best way to do that is to rate the podcast on Apple Podcasts and leave us a brief review.
Your ratings and reviews help us place the podcast in front of new leaders and listeners. Your feedback also lets me know how we can better serve you
Beratung Advisors help educate and empower clients to make informed financial decisions. Learn more about how Beratung Advisors can help you make a customized financial plan and create the financial future you deserve by visiting BeratungAdvisors.com.
Voted Pittsburgh’s Best Jewelry Store, Henne Jewelers has served the Pittsburgh region and beyond with beautiful jewelry and unbeatable customer service since 1887. With a full collection of luxury watches, diamond rings, and estate and designer jewelry, Henne Jewelers not only provide beautiful jewelry for every occasion – they also invest in people. At Henne Jewelers, our mission is to go beyond jewelry purchases, to enhance and strengthen relationships.
Learn more about Henne Jewelers and our To Have and To Hold Program for newly engaged couples by visiting HenneJewelers.com.