In this episode of the L3 Leadership Podcast, Doug Smith continues to share his top lessons learned in 2020. In part 2, you’ll hear Doug share what he’s learned about family, personal branding, self-awareness, and more.
9 Key Take-Aways From Episode 272.
1. Managing/Firing – It’s the most painful part of leadership. Leaders are willing to do what others are not.
- The moment you feel like you have to manage someone, you’ve made a hiring mistake. -Jim Collins
- Lessons from letting people go:
- Get clear on who you are and who you want to be.
- What Roles do you want to fulfill?
3. Personal Branding is overrated!
- If God wants to make you a name, let Him do that.
- “Being #1 has never been on my bucket list. Focusing on being the best that I can be has always been on my bucket list.” -John Maxwell
4. Racial Reconciliation + Diversity & Inclusion: Leaders we need to listen like we’ve never listened before.
- Resources: The Third Option by Miles Mcpherson, Oneness embraced by Tony Evans, and Be the Bridge by Latasha Morrison
5. As a Nation we’ve lost our way because we’ve lost our values.
- Character development is the most important character. We’re committed to developing leaders of character.
6. Discipleship is what I’ll remember most about my life:
- How many people could I say that I’ve impacted enough to be my spiritual son or daughter? Out of everything you do, nothing will compare with these.
7. God will be with you in the valley of the shadow of death:
- “Before any next level in my life. Before God increased my influence, I almost always go through a tough time. It’s that view of God’s history in my life that’s given me comfort in painful seasons. -Sam Chand
8. Be interruptible – It’s the best way to love people.
- It’s possible that the most important thing God has for me on any given day is not even on my calendar. Am I interruptible? -Bruce Larson
- People were interruptible for me, I realized that I haven’t always been interruptible for them.
- We only get one shot at this.
- Family Teams is a Multi-generational family team on mission.
- Psalm 127:3-5 – Children are a gift from the Lord. They are a reward from Him. Children are brown to young men are like arrows in a warriors hands. How joyful is the man whose quiver is full of them. He will not be put to shame when he confronts his accusers at the city gates.
LINKS MENTIONED IN EPISODE 272:
QUOTES FROM EPISODE 272:
Looking for a key quote? More of a reader?
Read or download a free PDF transcript of this episode here.
ABOUT DOUG SMITH:
Doug is the Director of Development at Light of Life Rescue Mission and Founder and CEO of L3 Leadership. He is the author of his eBook, “Making the Most of Mentoring”, a step by step guide to help you build and cultivate relationships with mentors. He blogs at dougsmithlive.com, he is the host of the L3 Leadership podcast, and he is sought after public speaker. He is married to his high school sweetheart, Laura, who currently works as an Account Executive at Ivalua. Together, they love family, personal growth, travel, working out, and serving others.
CONNECT WITH DOUG:
Subscribe to our Podcast:
- Subscribe on iTunes
- Subscribe on YouTube
- Subscribe on Google Play
- Subscribe on Spotify
- Subscribe on Overcast
- Subscribe on Stitcher
- Subscribe on TuneIn
LEAVE A RATING AND REVIEW
The best way to do that is to rate the podcast on Apple Podcasts and leave us a brief review.
Your ratings and reviews help us place the podcast in front of new leaders and listeners. Your feedback also lets me know how we can better serve you
Beratung Advisors help educate and empower clients to make informed financial decisions. Learn more about how Beratung Advisors can help you make a customized financial plan and create the financial future you deserve by visiting BeratungAdvisors.com.
Voted Pittsburgh’s Best Jewelry Store, Henne Jewelers has served the Pittsburgh region and beyond with beautiful jewelry and unbeatable customer service since 1887. With a full collection of luxury watches, diamond rings, and estate and designer jewelry, Henne Jewelers not only provide beautiful jewelry for every occasion – they also invest in people. At Henne Jewelers, our mission is to go beyond jewelry purchases, to enhance and strengthen relationships.
Learn more about Henne Jewelers and our To Have and To Hold Program for newly engaged couples by visiting HenneJewelers.com.