In this episode of the L3 Leadership Podcast, as part of a two-part teaching, Doug Smith shares his top lessons learned in 2020.
Key Take-Aways From Episode 270.
1. Life is Hard, Don’t Quit
Doug shares 5 Truths: You are going to die, Life is hard, You are not that important, You are not in control, Your life is not about you – You must experience your own powerlessness before a true spiritual journey can begin.
2. Learn to Rest and Recover…or you’ll be forced to.
“Ruthlessly eliminate hurry from your life.” -Dallas Willard'Ruthlessly eliminate hurry from your life.' -Dallas Willard Click To Tweet
“If you don’t have plenty of time to do what I called you to do, you’re wasting time.” -Keith Moore
“The world aches for the generosity of a well-rested people.” -Wayne Muller
“Rest is an act of faith.” -Dallas Willard
3. Doug shares what God taught him most in 2020.
“Doug, what if you’d knew it’d all happen. You know it will. Think back to all the stress you put on yourself trying to make it happen. You can’t make anything happen. Let me surprise and delight you Let me make it happen. Rest.” -God
4. Doug shares his Top Leadership Lessons in 2020:
1. Leadership does suck!
- “Those who wish to become CEO’s, be careful what you wish for. It takes your life to be devoted to the company’s life. In the end, work is just dust.” -Joel Manby
- There are no two easy consecutive days in a leader’s life.
2. Always Ask Who not How!
- “If there are things before you that aren’t getting done, consider then that it may be someone else’s assignment!” -Rick Wellock
3. Leading Teams:
- “If you find yourself angry at your team, it’s likely not them that you are mad at, it’s you being mad at your inability to lead them.” -Carey Neiwhof
- Doug shares his journey from pleasing people to leading People
- I’ll always love people, but I’d never depend on their love. Your relational gifting won’t get you through all the time.
- You may not understand, when you move into leadership, you will. It’s the most painful part of leadership. Leaders are willing to do what others are not.
- “The moment you feel like you have to manage someone, you’ve made a hiring mistake. “-Jim Collins
- Dealing with underperforming people:
- Lessons from letting people go.
LINKS MENTIONED IN EPISODE 270:
Who Not How by Dan Sullivan
Ruthless Elimination of Hurry by John Mark Comer
Support the show (https://www.patreon.com/l3leadership)
QUOTES FROM EPISODE 270:“When things go wrong, when obstacles seem too great, when the difficulties get to be too much, when your dream seems to be impossibly far away, your job is to simply keep going.” -John MaxwellClick To Tweet I’ve never had a senior leader that has fired someone regret it. Their only regret is they should have done it sooner. - Sam ChandClick To Tweet
Looking for a key quote? More of a reader?
Read or download a free PDF transcript of this episode here.
ABOUT DOUG SMITH:
Doug is the Director of Development at Light of Life Rescue Mission and Founder and CEO of L3 Leadership. He is the author of his eBook, “Making the Most of Mentoring”, a step by step guide to help you build and cultivate relationships with mentors. He blogs at dougsmithlive.com, he is the host of the L3 Leadership podcast, and he is sought after public speaker. He is married to his high school sweetheart, Laura, who currently works as an Account Executive at Ivalua. Together, they love family, personal growth, travel, working out, and serving others.
CONNECT WITH DOUG:
Subscribe to our Podcast:
- Subscribe on iTunes
- Subscribe on YouTube
- Subscribe on Google Play
- Subscribe on Spotify
- Subscribe on Overcast
- Subscribe on Stitcher
- Subscribe on TuneIn
LEAVE A RATING AND REVIEW
The best way to do that is to rate the podcast on Apple Podcasts and leave us a brief review.
Your ratings and reviews help us place the podcast in front of new leaders and listeners. Your feedback also lets me know how we can better serve you
Beratung Advisors help educate and empower clients to make informed financial decisions. Learn more about how Beratung Advisors can help you make a customized financial plan and create the financial future you deserve by visiting BeratungAdvisors.com.
Voted Pittsburgh’s Best Jewelry Store, Henne Jewelers has served the Pittsburgh region and beyond with beautiful jewelry and unbeatable customer service since 1887. With a full collection of luxury watches, diamond rings, and estate and designer jewelry, Henne Jewelers not only provide beautiful jewelry for every occasion – they also invest in people. At Henne Jewelers, our mission is to go beyond jewelry purchases, to enhance and strengthen relationships.
Learn more about Henne Jewelers and our To Have and To Hold Program for newly engaged couples by visiting HenneJewelers.com.