In episode 268 of the L3 Leadership Podcast, Doug Smith interviews Nona Jones, Head of Faith-Based Partnerships for Facebook. In the episode, Nona Jones shares her incredible story and how to build community using social media.
Nona tells about her faith journey and how she ended up working for Facebook. Externally, Nona represents Facebook to the faith community for Facebook. She helps organizations in the faith community maximize their impact on social. Internally, Nona resents the faith community to Facebook.
9 IMPORTANT TAKE-AWAYS FROM EPISODE 268:
- Church has been defined as a place you go for thousands of years. Now in Covid, churches have focused on social media reach to maintain their communities. The church is not a thing you do or just a place you go, It’s who you are. How do we pray together, learn together, and worship together without being together? Discipleship is the relationship maturation of your faith.
- We are switch from Church as building, to church as community. How can social technology help this happen? We are trying to get people to the cross, not just to the building!
- Your page is your front porch, FB groups is your living room. They can come in and sit and ask questions, and experience your content together.
- Nona works with some of the largest churches in America. What are these large and thriving churches doing to succeed? It’s all experimentation. No one is doing it perfectly!
- Nona’s top recommendation for churches: Stop doing 15-minute countdown timers. Countdowns are not important!
- How do you succeed at digital discipleship? You start asking yourself questions. Start experimenting with features and get creative using the tools available to you. How can you use these tools to accomplish your goals?
- Don’t get hung up on your following. It doesn’t matter how many people are following you if they don’t follow Jesus through you! It’s about following Jesus.
- We have to be transparent with our hurts and hang-ups. As leaders, we need to heal what hurts so that we can build something lasting. Hurt people hurt people.
- As leaders, we don’t have to achieve to matter. You are more than what your resume says. You are a person of value, whether you have another accomplishment or not.
LINKS MENTIONED IN THE EPISODE 268:
- From Social Media to Social Ministry by Nona Jones
- Success from the Inside Out by Nona Jones
- Facebook For Faith
QUOTES FROM EPISODE 268:“We are trying to get people to the cross, not just to the building!” -Nona JonesClick To Tweet “There’s nothing that you could get around you that could fill the deficit in you.” -Nona JonesClick To Tweet “I want to take leaders to that place where they enjoy the things they have AND the things they don’t.” -Nona JonesClick To Tweet
Looking for a key quote? More of a reader?
Read or download a free PDF transcript of this episode here.
ABOUT DOUG SMITH:
Doug is the Director of Development at Light of Life Rescue Mission and Founder and CEO of L3 Leadership. He is the author of his eBook, “Making the Most of Mentoring”, a step by step guide to help you build and cultivate relationships with mentors. He blogs at dougsmithlive.com, he is the host of the L3 Leadership podcast, and he is sought after public speaker. He is married to his high school sweetheart, Laura, who currently works as an Account Executive at Ivalua. Together, they love family, personal growth, travel, working out, and serving others.
CONNECT WITH DOUG:
Subscribe to our Podcast:
- Subscribe on iTunes
- Subscribe on YouTube
- Subscribe on Google Play
- Subscribe on Spotify
- Subscribe on Overcast
- Subscribe on Stitcher
- Subscribe on TuneIn
LEAVE A RATING AND REVIEW
The best way to do that is to rate the podcast on Apple Podcasts and leave us a brief review.
Your ratings and reviews help us place the podcast in front of new leaders and listeners. Your feedback also lets me know how we can better serve you
Beratung Advisors help educate and empower clients to make informed financial decisions. Learn more about how Beratung Advisors can help you make a customized financial plan and create the financial future you deserve by visiting BeratungAdvisors.com.
Voted Pittsburgh’s Best Jewelry Store, Henne Jewelers has served the Pittsburgh region and beyond with beautiful jewelry and unbeatable customer service since 1887. With a full collection of luxury watches, diamond rings, and estate and designer jewelry, Henne Jewelers not only provide beautiful jewelry for every occasion – they also invest in people. At Henne Jewelers, our mission is to go beyond jewelry purchases, to enhance and strengthen relationships.
Learn more about Henne Jewelers and our To Have and To Hold Program for newly engaged couples by visiting HenneJewelers.com.