In this episode of the L3 Leadership podcast, Doug Smith got to interview Pittsburgh Steelers Coach, Mike Tomlin at Urban Impact’s annual Manup Pittsburgh event. In the interview you’ll hear Doug ask Mike:
- If you could have coffee with your 15-20 year old self or a group of kids that we’re encouraging people to invest in, what would you tell them?
- What do you wish people knew about your journey what it took to get to where you’re at?
- What are some principles/character traits that you try to form in the young men who come under your influence as a head coach? How do you help them become men?
- One of your key principles that you teach is “The Standard is the Standard”. What is the origin of that statement? When you learned that and how do you apply it in your own life?
- What did you think you knew as a player about leadership and coaching that wasn’t actually true when you stepped into coaching?
- How do you handle criticism and praise?
- What can we do to serve you and partner with what you’re doing?
Enjoy the episode!
Watch the Episode:
Mike Tomlin was named the 16th head coach in Pittsburgh Steelers history on January 22, 2007. Hired at the age of 34, Tomlin became only the third head coach hired by the Steelers since 1969.
Through nine seasons, Tomlin has accomplished many things that have never been done in the team’s storied history. His 92-52 regular-season record (.639) is the best start in franchise history, and he became the youngest head coach in NFL history to both coach in and win a Super Bowl when he led the Steelers to a 27-23 victory over the Arizona Cardinals in Super Bowl XLIII (26 years, 323 days). By winning the Super Bowl in only his second season as a head coach, he also became the fastest to win a Super Bowl title in Steelers history.
Connect with Mike:
- Steelers Website
Connect with Urban Impact:
Donate to Urban Impact
If this post helped you and you believe it could help others, please recommend it on Facebook, Twitter, Stumble Upon, and the other social media sites listed below. Also, I would love to hear your thoughts on this post. Leave a comment below! Thank you!
I would also encourage you to subscribe to this blog via RSS feed or e-mail! You can sign-up for e-mail by typing your e-mail address in the box on the left hand side of this site that says “E-mail updates”.