In this episode of the L3 Leadership podcast, Doug Smith got to interview Pittsburgh Steelers Coach, Mike Tomlin at Urban Impact’s annual Manup Pittsburgh event. In the interview you’ll hear Doug ask Mike:
- If you could have coffee with your 15-20 year old self or a group of kids that we’re encouraging people to invest in, what would you tell them?
- What do you wish people knew about your journey what it took to get to where you’re at?
- What are some principles/character traits that you try to form in the young men who come under your influence as a head coach? How do you help them become men?
- One of your key principles that you teach is “The Standard is the Standard”. What is the origin of that statement? When you learned that and how do you apply it in your own life?
- What did you think you knew as a player about leadership and coaching that wasn’t actually true when you stepped into coaching?
- How do you handle criticism and praise?
- What can we do to serve you and partner with what you’re doing?
Enjoy the episode!
L3 Leadership Podcast Episode #151: Interview with Mike Tomlin, Coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers
Watch the Episode:
Mike Tomlin was named the 16th head coach in Pittsburgh Steelers history on January 22, 2007. Hired at the age of 34, Tomlin became only the third head coach hired by the Steelers since 1969.
Through nine seasons, Tomlin has accomplished many things that have never been done in the team’s storied history. His 92-52 regular-season record (.639) is the best start in franchise history, and he became the youngest head coach in NFL history to both coach in and win a Super Bowl when he led the Steelers to a 27-23 victory over the Arizona Cardinals in Super Bowl XLIII (26 years, 323 days). By winning the Super Bowl in only his second season as a head coach, he also became the fastest to win a Super Bowl title in Steelers history.
Connect with Mike:
- Steelers Website
Connect with Urban Impact:
Our vision and desire is to see lives holistically transformed in our community one person, one family, and one block at a time who, in turn, make a powerful impact locally and globally for Jesus Christ.
Every year, Urban Impact teams up with Coach Mike Tomlin of the Pittsburgh Steelers, to present the ManUp Pittsburgh conference to over fifteen hundred men from the tri-state area. ManUp encourages and teaches men to be godly leaders for their families, and raises awareness of the detrimental impact of fatherlessness among youth today. Prominent local pastors join the mission each year to lead breakouts, including sessions specifically targeted toward young adults, coaches, veterans, fathers, and husbands.
Media Partners: Voyage Visuals
Voyage is an innovative production house with directors, producers, cinematographers, and editors on a mission to provide an engaging cinematic experience – like no other – for clients of all shapes and sizes. We do this through breathtaking imagery and memorable storytelling. We are a full service production company that will provide clients with exactly what they need from pre-production to post.
At Voyage, there is an uncontainable desire to show people how beautiful the world we live in really is. We are excited to be part of an industry that encourages us to stretch the creative boundaries of our minds, add depth to our body of work and enrich the brands that join us on our endeavors. This passion is what keeps us moving, exploring and discovering on our mission to reach perfect execution in all that we do.
Join us on this VOYAGE and let us help tell your story.
Connect with Voyage Visuals:
Connect with L3 Leadership:
- Website: L3Leadership.org
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/l3-leadership
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/L3Leader
- Twitter: @L3leader
- Instagram: @l3leadership
- Podcast: The L3 Leadership Podcast in iTunes
How You can help our Podcast:
- To listen to past interviews, go to our podcast page.
- Subscribe to this podcast
- Rate and leave a review of the podcast
- Share the content on Social Media
- Sign-up for our L3 Leadership Newsletter
- If you have an idea for a future podcast you would like to hear or a leader you would like me to interview, e-mail us.
- If you enjoyed the podcast, please rate it on iTunes and write a review.
If this post helped you and you believe it could help others, please recommend it on Facebook, Twitter, Stumble Upon, and the other social media sites listed below. Also, I would love to hear your thoughts on this post. Leave a comment below! Thank you!
I would also encourage you to subscribe to this blog via RSS feed or e-mail! You can sign-up for e-mail by typing your e-mail address in the box on the left hand side of this site that says “E-mail updates”.
Latest posts by Doug Smith (see all)
- #160: Tough Decisions, Earning Your Leadership,and Picking and Developing Talent with Kevin Colbert, General Manager of the Pittsburgh Steelers - August 17, 2017
- #159: Pay the Price Part 3 - August 13, 2017
- 2017 Global Leadership Summit Day 2 Recap - August 12, 2017