In this episode of the L3 Leadership podcast, Doug Smith shares the top lessons he’s learned in 2016.
L3 Leadership Podcast Episode #130: Doug Smith on the Top Lessons He Learned in 2016
Notes: Top Lessons Learned in 2016
- Dealing wth People
- Enjoying Life
1.) Lessons Learned About Family
Don’t give away your influence as a parent -Dan Dupee
If you have children, they must come first. You must hug and love them. Your success as a family, our success as a society, depends not on what happens in the White House, but in your house.” -Barbara Bush
The most important thing you do may not be something you do, but someone you raise! -Andy Stanley
The greatest regret you’ll ever have is not being present when you’re kids were little -Pastor John
Don’t let something as menial as ministry take your family – Kenneth Hagin
Don’t think your family can survive on auto-pilot – Christ Camp
Your children don’t miss you at 5 a.m., they do at 6 p.m. – Greg Weimer
You can waste opportunities because of your insecurities
- Never find happiness in other people’s heads! -Pastor John
Reflect on Why You’re Not Confident
Build your own legacy
Don’t find security in following other’s ministry, do your ministry! Have confidence in living in your own calling! -Pastor John Nuzzo
Find out What God Put in You
I am on an endless pursuit to discover everything that God put in me. -TD Jakes
People never out-perform their self-image!
It’s Not About me
I’m Making a Bigger Difference than I think I am
God rarely allows a soul to see how great a blessing he is. -Oswald Chambers
Make Sure It’s God
“When what you do matters to God, you have a partner, when what you do matters to you, you have a problem. -PJ
Don’t ask God to open doors of opportunity, ask him to close all doors except the ones you should go through. -Denny Pattyn
“May all of your plans be frustrated, your hopes thwarted, desired withered to nothing, so you may know the poverty, powerlessness, and sing and dance in the love of God.” -Doug Bradbury
4Dream Big and Go For IT
God is looking for people through whom He can do the impossible. What a pity that we only plan the things we can do by ourselves. -Tozier
Dreams come a size too big so we can grow into them. -Tommy Barnett
When people hear your vision, they should see the largeness of your God. –
Remember who You Rely On
Lord, I need you, every hour I need you. -John Guest and Bishop Zubick
Grace will take you places hustling can’t! – Liz Gilbert
Joseph learned that progress only occurs when God orchestrates it. He understood that self-promotion can never replace divine promotion! -Spiritual Leadership
Nevertheless, I persevered because I believe God called me. -Brian Houston
What would 10xing this look like?
If you have a 10 year plan to do something, you should ask, why can’t I do this in 6 months?
Be bold, tweaks never changed the world – Craig Groeschel
Average didn’t seem interesting – Greg Weimer
Decide if You’re for Real:
Likes don’t pay bills, sales do!
#1 struggle for companies – They don’t charge enough!
The fastest way to become a billionaire is to help a billion people!
Success is not complicated, just start with making 1,000 people very happy! – 1,000 True Fans
People being used the most by God equip people, resource them, and want no credit for it. -PJ
- “God, why did your mission come down to the effectiveness of leaders? I don’t see a better investment than investing in leaders.
Do not take lightly your call to leadership
Leadership Stinks Sometimes
- “This will be a really great experience for you…” – Hard challenges
- You’re a QB in the red zone – The stakes are always high and you always have to lead and go back into then huddle!
Leadership Requires Followership
Submission isn’t sexy
Every good young leader should spend at least 10 years making your boss look good. -Matt Chandler
6.) Dealing with People:
There are people designed by God to help you fulfill your calling! -PJ
- Your leadership impact will be determined by the people you empower
- Eagles don’t flock, you have to find one at a time
- Failure to delegate is poor stewardship of the human resources God’s provided!
- How can young leaders grow unless delegated to?
- Leaders who develop leaders ask for great commitment! Ask people to step up! Acquaint them with sacrifice! The more you develop yourself as a leader and invest in people, the greater pool of people you’ll have to choose from!
- Never say someones no for them
- You don’t have enough energy to focus on those leaving and those coming, focus on those coming – Jay Passavant
People Need to and Deserve to Know where they Stand – Always Be Honest
- The worse thing I can do for someone as a leader is not let them know where they stand and to not let them know where they need to be
- It’s cruel and unusual punishment for people to not know how they are doing. -Craig Groeschel
- We will ALWAYS let you know where you stand. Anyone can walk in anytime and ask where they are and we’ll tell them. Don’t waste people’s time. -Andy Toole
- If you need people, you can’t lead people! – Maxwell
Value Everyone, You Never Know who God will Use to Accomplish Your Mission
Don’t rule people out. Perhaps the very person you need to go where God wants you to go is the exact opposite of what you’d have in mind!
- It’s dangerous when you start viewing people as interruptions, Jesus worked through interruptions
- Don’t be fooled by the packages people come in. Be blessed with some unlikely leaders!
Greed is a Big Deal and it Must be Dealt With
- “Jesus taught about greed more than sex and yet nobody thinks they are guilty of it.” -Tim Keller
- Proverbs 23:4 – Don’t wear yourself out trying to get rich. Be wise enough to know when to quit.
- Proverbs 28:22 – Greedy people try to get rich, but don’t realize they are headed for poverty
- Never ever ever ever ever ever sell out for money! -Pastor John
Set a standard of living and give away the rest
Recognize What Money is not:
I have a deeper appreciation for what money isn’t than for what it is! -Clint Hurdle
Most people are not money motivated, they are lack of money motivated! It doesn’t take much to get to $100,000/year. -John Rosso
Recognize what Money is: A Tool to Help Others
God to PJ – Don’t talk to me about money, if you knew how much I love people you’ll never think about money. I didn’t die for money, I died for people.
8.) Enjoying Life
Sometimes you need to stop and smell the Starbucks – Jeff Leake
Often the pressure we feel comes from assuming tasks that God has not assigned. For such tasks, a leader cannot expect God to supply extra strength! -Spiritual Leadership
- Upcoming Events – Go here to see a list of upcoming events! We’d love to see you there in person!
- Mastermind Groups – We have weekly webinars about Mastermind groups every Tuesday night from 9 p.m. – 9:30 p.m. . E-mail Doug at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested.
- Podcast – If you enjoy this podcast, please subscribe, rate, and review this podcast on iTunes. That will help us grow our audience organically.
- To listen to other interviews, go to our L3Leadership Podcast page. To learn more about what we’re doing through L3 Leadership, sign-up for our e-mail newsletter here.
Babb, Inc. – Throughout our 80+ years in business, we have established a solid reputation as a leading, independent insurance broker, third party administrator and consulting firm – in Pennsylvania and across the country. With a unique perspective, extensive experience and innovative business strategies, we deliver to our clients the best services and options possible.Zero Six Eight – “Zero Six Eight collaborates with ex-convicts who demonstrate a drive for entrepreneurial achievement. By supporting the skills and interests of these entrepreneurs, we work to launch innovative products and services that would otherwise face considerable barriers.” To learn more about 068, go to http://www.zerosixeight.org/.
Connect with L3 Leadership:
- Website: L3Leadership.org
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/l3-leadership
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/L3Leader
- Twitter: @L3leader
- Instagram: @l3leadership
- Podcast: The L3 Leadership Podcast in iTunes
How You can help our Podcast:
- To listen to past interviews, go to our podcast page.
- Subscribe to this podcast
- Rate and leave a review of the podcast
- Share the content on Social Media
- Sign-up for our L3 Leadership Newsletter
- If you have an idea for a future podcast you would like to hear or a leader you would like me to interview, e-mail us.
- If you enjoyed the podcast, please rate it on iTunes and write a review.
If this post helped you and you believe it could help others, please recommend it on Facebook, Twitter, Stumble Upon, and the other social media sites listed below. Also, I would love to hear your thoughts on this post. Leave a comment below! Thank you!
I would also encourage you to subscribe to this blog via RSS feed or e-mail! You can sign-up for e-mail by typing your e-mail address in the box on the left hand side of this site that says “E-mail updates”.