In this episode you’ll hear L3 Leadership Founder, Doug Smith, share on the subject, “How to Lead Through Tragedy and Difficult Times”. He will answer the question, “What is our role as leaders in today’s world?Download Shownotes
Doug is the Director of Development at Light of Life Rescue Mission, a non-profit that helps the homeless, in Pittsburgh, PA. He is the Founder of L3 Leadership, a company that connects and develops leaders through training, events, mastermind groups, and membership. He is also the host of the L3 Leadership podcast, where he has interviewed world-class leaders such as Dr. Henry Cloud, Dr. Les Parrott, Liz Wiseman, Mike Tomlin, and many others. He is married to his high school sweetheart, Laura. Together, they love family, personal growth, travel, working out, and serving others.
CONNECT WITH DOUG:
- What is my role as Leaders in today’s world?
- Three things that will always exist: human evil, human suffering, and death.
- The Bible says the problem is within us… our hearts and our souls. We’re separated from God. We need to have our souls restored. Something only God can do.
For out of the heart come evil thoughts—murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander. -Matthew 15:19
It is easier to denature plutonium than to denature the evil spirit of man. -Einstein
This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun! -2 Corinthians 5:17
- 4 ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’[b] or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.” -Revelation 21:1-4
- Develop the Courage to Lead – Do Not Take Your Leadership for Granted
Leadership is losing the right to think about yourself.
If you want to be a leader for any other reason other than making the lives of others better, don’t become a leader.
Goal: Become a leader worth following, that has something to say, that has somewhere worth going to lead people, and that will stand up and speak up for those who can’t speak up for themselves.
You are a leader and it matters that you lead
You’re an example whether you want to be or not
You have influence for a reason and it has nothing to do with personal gain, it’s for others
People are watching you!
“You don’t have to be perfect to lead people. Remember, we may impress people with our strengths, but we connect through our weaknesses.”-Craig Groeschel
“People don’t follow titles, they follow courage and if you would just lead them, they would follow you… and so would I! – William Wallace
- Be an Example – Lead Yourself
- “If you want a better world, composed of better nations, inhabited by better states, filled with better counties, made up of better cities, compromised of better neighborhoods, illuminated by better churches, populated by better families, then you’ll have to start by becoming a better person.” -Tony Evans
“Be the change that you wish to see in the world.” -Mahatma Gandhi
- “Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves; ensure justice for those being crushed. Yes, speak up for the poor and helpless, and see that they get justice.” -Proverbs 31:8-9
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. Martin Luther King, Jr
- “The greater your influence, the greater your complicity if you don’t call attacks like these what they really are: A heinous act of terrorism entirely rooted in hatred.” -James MacDonald
- Love Your Neighbor as Yourself
- Our neighbors shouldn’t know us, we should know our neighbors! -Matthew Geppert
- Get in Proximity of People that Are Not Like You and Don’t Think Like You and LISTEN TO THEM!
- Don’t Tolerate Injustice Anywhere
- “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly.” -MLK Jr.
- We’re either using our influence for good or we’re using our influence for bad. Not speaking up when you see injustice is not using your influence for good.
- We all have a part in making this world as it should be.
- Do for one what you wish you could do for everyone. -Andy Stanley
- Pray for our Nation
- The moment you began praying, a command was given. And now I am here to tell you what it was, for you are very precious to God. Listen carefully so that you can understand the meaning of your vision. -Daniel 9:23
- Pray for our Enemies
- ”You have heard the law that says, ‘Love your neighbor’ and hate your enemy. But I say, love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you! In that way, you will be acting as true children of your Father in heaven. For he gives his sunlight to both the evil and the good, and he sends rain on the just and the unjust alike. If you love only those who love you, what reward is there for that? Even corrupt tax collectors do that much. If you are kind only to your friends, how are you different from anyone else? Even pagans do that. But you are to be perfect, even as your Father in heaven is perfect.” -Matthew 5:43-48
- Love Our Enemies
- “Never pay back evil with more evil. Do things in such a way that everyone can see you are honorable. Do all that you can to live in peace with everyone. Dear friends, never take revenge. Leave that to the righteous anger of God. For the Scriptures say, “I will take revenge; I will pay them back,” says the Lord. Instead, “If your enemies are hungry, feed them. If they are thirsty, give them something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals of shame on their heads.” Don’t let evil conquer you but conquer evil by doing good. -Romans 12:17-21