In this episode of the L3 Leadership Podcast, you’ll hear Gordon MacDonald, pastor and best-selling author, share leadership advice for every decade of your life, the importance of rest, and more!
ABOUT GORDON MACDONALD:
Gordon MacDonald has been a pastor and author for over forty years. For many years he pastored Grace Chapel in Lexington, Massachusetts, and continues to serve as Pastor Emeritus. He has also provided leadership to influential ministries such as Intervarsity Christian Fellowship, which he served as President for three years, and World Relief, which he currently serves as Chairman. Gordon’s best-selling books include Ordering Your Private World, Mid-Course Correction, and, most recently, A Resilient Life. He also writes and serves as Editor-at-Large for Christianity Today’s Leadership Journal. When not writing, leading, or speaking at conferences, Gordon and his wife Gail can be found hiking the trails of New England.
LINKS MENTIONED IN THE EPISODE:
- Ordering Your Private World, by Gordon MacDonald
- Mid-Course Correction by Gordon MacDonald
- A Resilient Life by Gordon MacDonald
- Charles Simeon’s Biography
- William & Catherine Booth’s Biography
- Shantung Compound by
6 KEY LEADERSHIP TAKE-AWAYS FROM EPISODE 262:
- Ambition in leadership can be positive, but it does have a spectrum that must be kept in check. It’s good to want to make a difference, but “Drivenness must be consecrated daily”.
- “Business brings emptiness. I always keep a sabbath.” There are no two sabbaths that are the same. It’s all about getting true rest and being renewed. If you can’t get everything done in 6 days, then you’re either doing too much or are doing it wrong.
- About every seven years, your dreams will get tested. This is either because you fail, or someone fails you.
- Right now at 81, I am most interested in raising up younger pastors and being a spiritual father to those who will go after me.
- For those who are looking for a spiritual father or a mentor, my advice is to start “dating”. Date your potential mentor, take them to coffee, ask them questions, see how you click and whether or not you hit it off. Don’t just ask someone to be your mentor. Take it slow and take time to develop a real relationship first.
- Failure always generates humility. Always take full responsibility for your mistakes. Think about what you can learn from them and what you can teach others from them. Never cover up your mistakes.
QUOTES FROM EPISODE 262:“Drivenness must be consecrated daily” -Gordon MacDonaldClick To Tweet “Busyness brings emptiness. I always keep a sabbath.” -Gordon MacDonaldClick To Tweet “Failure always generates humility.” -Gordon MacDonaldClick To Tweet Never ever waste a crisis. A crisis always produces new answers, new insights, and new people.” -Gordon MacDonaldClick To Tweet “The practice is painful so that the game is pleasurable.” -Gordon MacDonaldClick To Tweet
Looking for a key quote? More of a reader?
Read or download a free PDF transcript of this episode here.
Subscribe to our Podcast:
- Subscribe on iTunes
- Subscribe on YouTube
- Subscribe on Google Play
- Subscribe on Spotify
- Subscribe on Overcast
- Subscribe on Stitcher
- Subscribe on TuneIn
LEAVE A RATING AND REVIEW
The best way to do that is to rate the podcast on Apple Podcasts and leave us a brief review.
Your ratings and reviews help us place the podcast in front of new leaders and listeners. Your feedback also lets me know how we can better serve you
Beratung Advisors help educate and empower clients to make informed financial decisions. Learn more about how Beratung Advisors can help you make a customized financial plan and create the financial future you deserve by visiting BeratungAdvisors.com.
Voted Pittsburgh’s Best Jewelry Store, Henne Jewelers has served the Pittsburgh region and beyond with beautiful jewelry and unbeatable customer service since 1887. With a full collection of luxury watches, diamond rings, and estate and designer jewelry, Henne Jewelers not only provide beautiful jewelry for every occasion – they also invest in people. At Henne Jewelers, our mission is to go beyond jewelry purchases, to enhance and strengthen relationships.
Learn more about Henne Jewelers and our To Have and To Hold Program for newly engaged couples by visiting HenneJewelers.com.
ABOUT DOUG SMITH:
Doug is the Director of Development at Light of Life Rescue Mission and Founder and CEO of L3 Leadership. He is the author of his eBook, “Making the Most of Mentoring”, a step by step guide to help you build and cultivate relationships with mentors. He blogs at dougsmithlive.com, he is the host of the L3 Leadership podcast, and he is sought after public speaker. He is married to his high school sweetheart, Laura, who currently works as an Account Executive at Ivalua. Together, they love family, personal growth, travel, working out, and serving others.